Where did 2015 go?
I know, I know…. everyone says this about every year, but it really feels like this year flew by! It was my first full year living stateside in quite a few years. I was faced with some tough decisions, new opportunities, and some moments that truly challenged me. However, 2015 also came with some amazing opportunities and new prospects. I bought a new car, found a new job, worked for myself, and grew my blog bigger than I ever imagined. I could not have done any of this without the support of my family and friends to help guide me through this past year.
With the new year coming so quickly, I have made some resolutions for myself for the year ahead, and I hope to follow through with many (if not all) of them. So here is to 2015, to learning and building off of lessons I learned in the previous year, and gaining some more knowledge in the coming year ahead. My 2016 resolutions:
1. Take more time for myself: The past year or two were really tough on me when it came to love and relationships. I am never one to divulge much of my life, especially on the internet, and I won’t get too personal in this post. It was a very emotional experience for me, but it also helped me to grow more as a person, learn more about myself, my attitude, my emotions, and the find peace within myself. I learned that it is okay to be alone, and being alone helps you to realize what you want going forward and to know exactly what you are looking for in the future. I cannot say if Mr. Right will come along any time soon, and I have learned to fully accept that and move forward. I am looking to 2016 to focus more on myself, grow more, and to slowly become the person I strive to be every single day.
2. Volunteer more: I think the thing I miss most about living in Korea is my time at Angel House Orphanage. It was an orphanage that housed the young and old: Angel House provided them with permanent housing, gave them a place to sleep, fed them, and allowed them to feel at home. I truly miss going there every month and spending a few hours with the people that lived there, they were some of the kindest and most joyful souls that I have ever met. I began volunteering when I came back, and I have found some really amazing causes. However, I know that in life I have been so blessed in so many ways, and I feel like I don’t give back enough. I am constantly looking for new ways to give back, and I would like to become much more active with this in 2016.
3. Grow my blog: I started my blog in late 2014 and really had no direction, no idea what I was doing, or where I was going. As 2015 came around, I became a bit more comfortable with the blogging world (people, the platform) and I created my own dot com (seriously I still get so excited)! There are still so many elements that I have to learn about blogging, and so many things that I need to become more diligent about. Towards the end of the year, my engagement really started to drop off, a bit more than I would have liked. I began working a lot, and I think my blog suffered a bit. I began to rely more on instagram and the fast-paced ease of it, and relied less on my posts. I want to schedule posts further in advance, create more fresh (and consistent) content, engage a bit more, and work on just amping up my blog overall.
4. Become more social: If anyone knows me, they know that I am quite social and I love to engage and interact as often as possible. When I lived overseas, I was so active, and I was always busy doing something. This past year, I was so busy with work, that my social life dropped off a bit. I began to only focus on my work and work ethic, and I forgot about making time for myself. I need to gain a better work life balance, and learn to take some more time off and maybe cut back my hours a bit. If you follow me on snapchat, you know that most of my pictures are in my car, because I am always driving to and from work. Seriously, there are times when I have changes of clothes and extra food in my car because I know I will be working such long days.
5. Travel More: If you have been following my blog for a while, or if you read through any of these, you may know that I have lived overseas a few times. I have also traveled quite extensively in my 20’s and I once prided myself on all of my travels and adventures. However, I did no overseas traveling in 2015…… such a shame, really. I also did almost no traveling within the states as well. I have been to 40+ states and 30+ countries, and I took an entire year off from something that I really love to do. I would like to get back to traveling and visiting so many of my friends currently living in other states and overseas. I would also like to get back to DC, where I spent almost 5 years of my life.
6. Shop with a purpose: Now I know this may sound crazy coming from a blogger, but it is something I have become much better at this past year! I learned to shop more for things that I can get a lot of wear out of and use much more frequently. While trendy items are nice, they are not always practical, and many of them are one time use items. I need to get even better at this and invest in pieces that I know will last me over a longer period of time.
7. Go on adventures: Whether this be solo or with friends, I need to do some more wild things. Now, I am not talking anything crazy here, but I need some excitement in my life. I love things like cliff diving, bungee jumping, sky diving, and anything that gives me that rush. I want to venture out a bit more, try some extreme sports, go on a road trip, and do things that really make my blood rush.
8. Be more patient: If there is one thing my friends would say about me, it’s that I am quite impatient. I have never been good about waiting for anything, and I mean anything. I am a pretty crazy driver (albeit, safe) and I don’t like to wait in lines. This is definitely something I am constantly working on and looking to become better at every single day. Teaching for a few years, and still working in schools from time to time has really helped me to become much more patient and really listen to people in a way that I was never able to before.
I am so happy you read this and learned a little bit more about me! I would love to hear some, or all of your resolutions. Feel free to leave them in the comments here or drop me an email and let me know! I am always open ears when it comes to anything. If you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask! Have a beautiful end of the year and enjoy your last few days of 2105!
Cheers to 2016!!